SKIN AND HAIR PROCEDURES
LASER SKIN PIGMENTATION
Laser Skin Pigmentation Treatment
Hyperpigmentation is a skin condition related to an excess of melanin production.
Melanin is a natural pigment found in the skin, hair and the iris of the eye. Its main function in humans is to provide protection against the harmful effects of ultraviolet (UV) sunlight in the cell nucleus. It is a filter that absorbs solar radiation. The name derives from the Greek word “melanos” meaning “dark”. It is found in different colours and concentrations, resulting in different skin tones.
Melanogenesis is the process of melanin synthesis. It starts from an essential amino acid, tyrosine, which is transformed into melanin by tyrosinase enzyme action. The pigmentation is fully related to the amount of epidermal melanocytes and tyrosinase activation by means of UV rays.
Hyperpigmentation is the disruption of this physiological process, either by the production of too much melanin or for the unevenly distribution of that very same melanin over the skin. This is manifested by patches of varying sizes, more or less dark, which are set in the most exposed areas of the body.
If you are over thirty you are likely to show signs of premature aging due to sun damage. With the Cynosure Elite laser and the Revlite Q-switched Nd:YAG we can now treat sun spots and pigmented lesions.
Types of Hyper Pigmentation:
There are many types of hyper pigmentation but the most common are:
- Melasma: It is a dysfunction in the synthesis of melanin, usually due to female hormonal changes such as pregnancy, etc. This kind of hyperpigmentation is not always automatically regulates when the normal levels of hormone in the body are restored. It has an uneven appearance. Unfortunately this type of pigmentation is incurable treatment can only improve the appearance of the pigmentation and prevent it from spreading.
- Lentigos or lentigines: Formed by small brown spots and misnamed as age spots as they are not due to aging but sun damage, appear as small rounded-plates in areas of the body permanently subjected to the action of ultraviolet rays. These skin discolorations are typically brown and flat. They appear on areas of the skin commonly exposed to the sun such as the backs of the hands, the forearms, neck, chest and face.
- Post inflammatory hyper pigmentation: This form of pigmentation is caused by trauma to the skin after inflammation. The more recent the trauma to the skin the better the chance to improve appearance of the pigmentation.
Treatments for Skin Pigmentation:
Laser Pigmentation Removal
Freckles, age spots and other minor blemishes are caused by melanin, a substance which gives our skin its colour. When melanin gathers in one spot, it becomes apparent as a discoloured area. The wavelengths of light produced by laser technology are designed to be absorbed by these pigmented areas; the powerful light then “shatters” the pigment, causing it to be dispersed by the body’s lymphatic system. The spots will gradually disappear.
IPL Skin Rejuvenation
Medical Grade Intense Pulse Light (IPL) is a non-invasive skin treatment that will improve the overall colour and texture of your skin. IPL is not a laser, but a broad wavelength light that is pulsed onto the skin. This photo-rejuvenation is one of the most effective treatments for smoothing out the tone and texture of your skin and can help in treating rosacea, age spots, sun damage/spots, and general skin tone irregularities.
Spectra Laser Peel
Spectra Laser Peel is the newest in Hollywood style skin rejuvenation procedures. This Hollywood Laser Peel encompasses the equivalent of having FOUR chemical peels in one session with no downtime, or any complications like ablative lasers. Hollywood Spectra Laser Peel is highly effective for treating uneven skin tone, Melasma, and enlarged pores. The laser peel improves skin tone, texture, and elasticity, plus with the added benefits of reversing sun damaged skin, mild acne scarring, age spots, and freckles.
Herbal Green Peel
Recognised worldwide, The Green Peel is proven to be a highly safe and successful method of non-invasive skin resurfacing. Mela White Green Peel is a specifically designed treatment to even out skin pigment, while helping to improve skin complexion. The blend of herbs, mixed with an active skin lightening solution, provide skin exfoliation along with deep cleansing and detoxification of the skin stimulating the de-pigmentation process.
Anti Pigmentation Peel
Our Anti-Pigmentation Chemical Peel has been designed specifically with pigmented skin condition in mind and works by accelerating our skins natural rejuvenation process by deeply exfoliating the skin, penetrating the damaged surface layers and encouraging them to shed.
- Overexposure to the sun
- Picking at the skin
- Hormonal changes
- Certain medications such as antibiotics, hormone treatments, and anti-seizure drugs
- Inflammation and skin injuries such as acne vulgaris
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1) Does the procedure hurts?
The treatment is not painful however any discomfort experienced can be eased with an ice pack.
2) Is the treatment quick?
Yes, the treatment offers an immediate return to routine activities. In fact, clients often schedule appointments during their lunch break and have no trouble return to work afterwards.
Some clients experience an immediate reduction in the appearance of pigmentation however good results are seen over time, as hyper pigmentation gradually fades.
3) How many sessions do I need & how soon I can see results?
This really depends on your skin type and skin issues. Significant improvement can be experienced after a single session however many clients book a course of treatment for the good results.
Our expert practitioners will help you determine how many sessions you require to achieve the results you desire.
4) Are there any side effects?
You will receive a full consultation prior to treatment to ensure your suitability.
Following treatment, pigmentation may temporarily appear darker before it lightens, this is completely normal and signals the skin is healing, slight reddening may also occur along with slight flaking as the pigmented skin is eliminated.
- It is normal for the treated area to feel a bit sunburned for a few hours. You can use a cold compress or paracetamol if needed.
- Immediately after treatment, there may be redness and swelling at the treatment area, this may feel like mild sunburn. Pigment will become darker and form into a scab. This is a normal effect of treatment.
- The application of a cool pack during the first few hours after treatment will reduce any discomfort.
- The application of aloe vera gel can continue at home.
- Makeup may be used immediately after the treatment unless there is epidermal blistering. (Preferably mineral make up). Avoid sun exposure to reduce the chance of hyper pigmentation or darker pigmentation
- Keep the area supple using moisturiser. Choose a product without AHA (alpha-hydroxy acids)/Use sunscreen SPF 50 at all times.
- Avoid picking or scratching the treated skin.
- Avoid tweezing, waxing, bleaching or chemical peels on the treated area during the course of the treatment.
- Do not use any products containing Retin-A, Benzoyl Peroxide or astringents as these could irritate sensitive skin.
- Avoid hot baths and heat treatments including exercise for the first 24 hours.